Query: ARM64: Behavior of el1_dbg exception while executing el0_dbg

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Mon Jan 12 09:30:05 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 05:13:29PM +0000, Pratyush Anand wrote:

> On Friday 09 January 2015 09:16 PM, Will Deacon wrote:

> >> So, you mean to say that when an exception which has been taken from
> >> lower exception level (EL0) is being executed, then we keep masked also
> >> the exception from current exception level (EL1)...
> >
> > Yeah, if you look at entry.S then you'll see that neither el0_dbg or el1_dbg
> > re-enable debug exceptions (masked automatically by the CPU after taking the
> > exception) until *after* the handling has completed. This is to prevent
> > recursive debug exceptions, which I don't see how we can reasonable handle.
>
> May be I am missing something, but my observation on silicon is
> different. Please have a look at git log of HEAD of following branch,
> which says that el1_dbg exception has been raised while el0_dbg was
> executing. Do not know what I am missing..
>
> https://github.com/pratyushanand/linux/tree/ml_arm64_uprobe_devel_debug_kprobe_insertion_at_uprobe_breakpoint_handler

That page just says "Failed to load latest commit information." for me.

Regardless, I think you need to debug further and found out if PSTATE.D is
getting cleared and, if so, who is responsible for that. Somebody could be
enabling IRQs, for example, which will then unmask debug exceptions in
el1_irq.

Will