Getting new udev to run with 2.6.28

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Sat Jan 10 10:09:42 PST 2015

On Sat 2015-01-10 10:05:32, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 06:39:20PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > N900 has real problems on 3.19, and 2.6.28 should be very well
> > debugged version. Getting it to compile on recent distribution was
> > fun, but I succeeded. Unfortunately, Debian 7's udev does not work
> > with 2.6.28...
> >
> > Does anyone have kernel patches to enable modern udev?
>
> Yes, 3.18, please use that instead.

Can't, sorry. My goal is to get 3.18/3.19 working, but I really need
working kernel to debug userland (and then use that userland to debug kernel).

> Seriously, lots of things have changed, if you want to run a "new"
> version of udev with an old kernel, try eudev, they have been attempting
> to keep "legacy" support around in it, don't know how well it has been
> working though, you really are on your own.

I was hoping someone has devtmpfs patches I could just apply over
2.6.28 and get a working system?

(Alternatively, I guess I should be able to do mknod manually. But
unfortunately ALSA does not want to work when I do that... and I
really need audio and modem support.)

Thanks,

									Pavel