Linux 3.19-rc3

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Jan 9 19:06:57 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 6:51 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> what about a dedicated virtualization host (where your workload is a handful
> of virtual machines), would the file cache issue still be overwelming, even
> though it's the virtual machines accessing things?

How much filesystem caches does the host need or use? It can range
from basically zero ("pure" hypervisor host with no filesystem at all)
to 100% (virtual filesystem in all the clients with the host doing all
the real work).

I dunno. I do know that you definitely don't want to haev a
desktop/workstation with 64kB pages.

                        Linus