[RFC/PATCH 2/2] of: allow for boolean flags to have value

Uwe Kleine-König u.kleine-koenig at pengutronix.de
Thu Feb 5 10:39:14 PST 2015

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 12:01:06PM -0600, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> allowing values to boolean flags lets us setup
> defaults on DTSI which can get disabled later
> at board DTS if, for whatever reason, board can't
> use that default.
>
> One such example is DM81xx EVM where we can't use
> MUSB's multipoint feature even though SoC supports
> it. Something at the board level prevents us from
> using the feature.
>
> Instead of removing "multipoint;" from DTSI and
> adding it to all board DTS just so we can remove
> it from our quirky board seems like overkill when
> we could just add:
>
> 	multipoint = <0>;
>
> to that quirky board's DTS.
>
> Note that the description here is but one example
> and it's likely many others have faced something
> similar.
And others even came up with solutions, too: The right thing to do in
this case is

	/delete-property/ multipoint;

This works since

	cd296721a964 (dtc: import latest upstream dtc)

which is in 3.7-rc1. See

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.devicetree/19170

for the related discussion.

Best regards