[GIT PULL] Third Round of Renesas ARM Based SoC Fixes for v3.19

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Sun Feb 1 16:24:23 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 05:30:32PM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> Simon,
>

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Simon Horman
> <horms+renesas at verge.net.au> wrote:
> > Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,
> >
> > Please consider these third round of Renesas ARM based SoC fixes for v3.19.
> >
> > This pull request is based on the previous round of
> > such requests, tagged as renesas-soc-fixes2-for-v3.19,
> > which I have already sent a pull-request for.
> >

> > This fixes a regression in the r8a7790 and r8a73a4 SoCs due to
> > 9a1091ef0017c40a ("irqchip: gic: Support hierarchy irq domain.")
> > which was included in v3.19-rc1.
> >
> > This pull-request is targeted at v3.19. r8a7790 patch in this pull-request
> > conflicts with the patch "ARM: shmobile: lager: Remove legacy board
> > support" which was included in the pull request "Renesas ARM Based SoC
> > Lager Board Removal for v3.20" which you have pulled for v3.20. The
> > conflict occurs because board-lager.c is removed in that patch whereas
> > this series updates that file.
> >
> > In other words, this series fixes board code for the lager/r8a7790 for v3.19
> > which is scheduled for removal in v3.20.
> >

> > The following changes since commit f469cde20a7ee342070b4a459b6fce469a3186db:
> >
> >   ARM: shmobile: r8a7779: Instantiate GIC from C board code in legacy builds (2015-01-17 09:28:41 +0900)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git tags/renesas-soc-fixes3-for-v3.19
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 77cf5166f21c3b73b04571311dc89a327424f594:
> >
> >   ARM: shmobile: r8a7790: Instantiate GIC from C board code in legacy builds (2015-01-29 17:52:38 +0900)

> > Third Round of Renesas ARM Based SoC Fixes for v3.19
> >
> > * Instantiate GIC from C board code in legacy builds on r8a7790 and r8a73a4

> > Magnus Damm (2):
> >       ARM: shmobile: r8a73a4: Instantiate GIC from C board code in legacy builds
> >       ARM: shmobile: r8a7790: Instantiate GIC from C board code in legacy builds
>
> This is the third branch you've sent us with the same type of fixes.
> Was there a reason for why you couldn't have prepared all of them at
> the same time once it was known to be a systematic problem?

Sorry about that, I agree this could have been batched up a bit better.

The main reason that things occurred in this manner was that it took
us a while to fix the problem on all the effected SoCs and as a result
some of the fixes were ready quite some time ago while others only
became available quite recently. It seemed reasonable to me to push out the
fixes as they became available. Rather than risk all of the SoCs being
broken in v3.19.

However, as this seems to be a bit of a pain point for you, I'll work
on batching things up more if we encounter such a wide-spread problem
again. We are also working on being able to catch regressions earlier
to try to avoid having to patching things up in this manner.