OMAP display kconfig options changing

Javier Martinez Canillas javier at dowhile0.org
Tue Dec 22 13:18:30 PST 2015

Hello Tomi,

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> wrote:
> On 18/12/15 18:05, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>
>>> Are you referring to Kconfig options? Or userspace?
>>
>> Well sounds like both need updating :)
>
> Depends... For simple fb apps, omapdrm works fine, and X with the
> standard fbdev driver should work with omapdrm too.

It does, I just tested omapdrm + X with the fbdev DDX and I was able
to start X and the xfce4 wm.

I just needed to enable DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION in omap2plus_defconfig to
have fbdev emulation over DRM.

> But if the userspace is using any omapfb specific apps, then yes, update
> is necessary.

Yes but these people should have a migration plan anyways since omapfb
(and fbdev in general) is going away right?

>>> But no, I don't have links to either.
>>
>> So change the Kconfig options and then deal with the flood
>> of angry emails? :) I think we need instructions..
>
> Ok. I think it's then best that I just update the defconfig to enable
> omapfb as modules, as it is currently.

In that case I think you should squash the defconfig changes with
commit ("70ba4e05531f omapfb/displays: change CONFIG_DISPLAY_* to
CONFIG_FB_OMAP2_*") to maintain bisectability.

Alternatively, the current panel and encoders Kconfig symbols could
remain for omapfb since that's the current ones used in
omap2plus_defconfig where omapfb is the default and have new Kconfig
symbols for omapdrm (i.e: CONFIG_DRM_OMAP_ENCODER_TFP410).

> We can look again at changing the default to omapdrm after we've tested
> it on OMAP2 too, and we have a better idea what the user needs to take
> care of.
>
>  Tomi

Best regards,
Javier