arm-soc boot: 320 boots: 12 failed, 308 passed (v4.4-rc3-483-gb48b5ceb7227)

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Dec 16 12:16:21 PST 2015

On Wednesday 16 December 2015 11:34:30 Tyler Baker wrote:
> > * bcm4708-smartrg-sr400ac doesn't find its rootfs any more
> >
> > [   16.670994] No filesystem could mount root, tried:  ext3 ext2 ext4 squashfs vfat msdos ntfs
> > [   16.679388] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)
> >
> >   I merged some patches from Florian yesterday, but it could also be a problem with
> >   the defconfig changes
>
> The bisection pointed to b02ec7658c98 ("ARM: multi_v7_defconfig:
> Enable some drivers for LS1021A")
>
> I've rebased my tree with arm-soc for-next, and reverted the commits
> listed above. Should know shortly if the reverts fix the boot issues.

I've looked at the built-in drivers to see if they might do something
on unrelated hardware (we've had bugs like that before), but didn't
find anything: the watchdog and cpufreq drivers all look sane, everything
else is a loadable module.

One possible explanation would be a buggy bootloader that fails to pass
a correct initrd and/or dtb if the kernel image gets too big.

Do you know if there is an initrd that is passed on this platform?

	Arnd