[RFC] User space to kernel space copy optimization

Sinan Kaya okaya at codeaurora.org
Sat Dec 5 20:24:29 PST 2015

On 12/5/2015 3:10 AM, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 04:53:27PM -0500, Sinan Kaya wrote:
>> One of the things I'm interested in is to use a memcpy capable DMA
>> engine HW to optimize user space and kernel space parameter copying.
>>
>> Of course, this will not be viable for all parameter sizes but I can see
>> this being useful. The goal is to save power in the cost of little
>> performance.
>>
>> Before I go and invent my own mechanism, I'd like to have ideas on what
>> an acceptable solution would look like. Especially, I'm looking for a
>> generic implementation that could plug into any DMA engine HW.
>
> Do you have a proposal on how this generic solution should look like, broad
> contours of the design to start off with and we can start from that point

No, not yet. AFAIK, some of these optimization ideas have been tried by
the Intel IO/AT in the past (kernel 2.6) and were rejected by the
upstream. I wanted to see if anybody had better ideas these days that is
upstream friendly.

--
Sinan Kaya
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.