MUSB dual-role on AM335x behaving weirdly

Gregory CLEMENT gregory.clement at free-electrons.com
Thu Aug 20 09:35:17 PDT 2015

Hi Felipe,

On 18/08/2015 16:13, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 02:36:13PM +0200, Gregory CLEMENT wrote:
>> Hi again Felipe,
>>
>> I sent this email again without the capture because it prevented to be delivered
>> to the mailing lists.

>>> this is likely because your VBUS hasn't dropped below 0.8V fast enough.
>>>
>>> I could only trigger this message in that situation. Use a scope to poke
>>> at VBUS and see how long is takes to reach 0.8V, this could all be cause
>>> by too much capacitance on VBUS line.
>>
>> We got some news:
>> "The capacitance on VBUS due to components is 200nF and the additional parasitic
>> capacitance will be much smaller than this"
>>
>> The rail discharge time is ~36ms when an USB drive is removed from the OTG adapter.
>> I attached a capture of this.
>>
>> What do you think about these values?
>>

>> However, "there appears to be a considerable delay between the removal of a usb
>> drive and the initiation of the VBUS discharge (maybe ~1 second, I wasn't able
>> to measure this time)."
>
> yeah, this is really weird. I can't think of anything that would make
> VBUS discharge slower from a SW point of view. Once you remove the
> cable, VBUS is physically removed and there's nothing else charging it.

I have more feedback about it: "When I look at it on the oscilloscope
this isn't a 'slow discharge' like a slowly draining capacitor, it is
a delay between the removal of a device and the initiation of the
discharge.  The discharge itself is quite fast once it begins, it just
seems as if the SOC/driver is taking a long time to notice the cable
is disconnected. At this stage, this isn't actually a problem, just
odd."

While working on this issue we found that the
tg_state_a_wait_vrise_timeout case seemed not managed by musb_dsps
driver. I've just submitted a patch for it:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/8/20/507

I made most of my test on a 3.17 kernel and today by using a 4.1
kernel with the patch I have submitted I didn't manage to reproduce
the issue. I saw that since 3.17, there were some patches related to
the babble interrupts; so maybe it was enough to fix the issue we saw.
It is still weird because one month ago I also tested with a 4.1
kernel and I had issues...

It needs more testing to see if it is really fixed because the issue
comes only time to time. I will keep you inform about our last tests.

Thanks,

Gregory

--
Gregory Clement, Free Electrons