enabling libgcc for 64-bit divisions, was Re: PROBLEM: XFS on ARM corruption 'Structure needs cleaning'

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Aug 12 15:36:14 PDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto at kernel.org> wrote:

> Does your objection still apply if we supplied our own implementations of a
> handful of libgcc helpers?

We already do that.

Several architectures actually implement _udivdi3.

However, do_div() is actually the much simpler/better interface.

I don't think we have a single case in the kernel where we really want
the full 64/64 division, and the 64/32->64 case really is
fundamentally simpler.

This whole "do_div is so complicated" thing is just BS.

The thing that triggered Christoph to ask was a bug in the
implementation of that *simpler*  interface. What makes you think that
making people implement _udivdi3 would magically avoid all such bugs?

                Linus