[Discussion] how to implement external power down for ARM

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Apr 30 02:19:41 PDT 2015

On Thursday 30 April 2015 10:08:05 Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 30 April 2015 at 09:03, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 April 2015 09:03:22 Shannon Zhao wrote:
> >>
> >> I am looking at adding support for external power down and reboot to
> >> ARM VMs.  With ACPI this is fairly straight forward and requires only
> >> adding a GPIO controller to the virt machine model and extending ACPI
> >> appropriately (see code here [1]). In addition Linaro LEG also have
> >> done a test that uses GPIO as power button to shutdown OS on fast model
> >> (see detail here [2]).
> >>
> >> However, we would like for this to work in systems that do not use
> >> ACPI as well. Adding a GPIO controller will still work, but we would
> >> need a generic way to tell Linux how to handle the GPIO events without
> >> adding any board-specific code to the VIRT platform. And what guest
> >> kernel driver do we need? Do we need another user-level daemon like acpid?
> >>
> >> Note that external shutdown can also be accomplished using the qemu
> >> guest agent [3], but maybe this is not a sufficiently stable approach.
> >>
> >> Any input on the approach to take here is very welcome.
> >
> > I would expect drivers/power/reset/gpio-poweroff.c to work in an identical
> > way with ACPI and DT, once you have added an ACPI binding for it.
>
> Looking at Documentation/devicetree/bindings/gpio/gpio-poweroff.txt
> that appears to be for "let the guest kernel turn off the system
> from the inside by toggling a GPIO line". What we want is the
> opposite: the external system (QEMU, in this case) toggles a GPIO
> line in order to request the guest kernel to do a clean shutdown
> or reboot. Or have I misunderstood what gpio-poweroff can do?
>
> [I would expect the shutdown itself to be done via PSCI.]

Ok, my mistake. What we need then is a "gpio-keys" device that has
a single gpio with a button that emits KEY_POWER (or a second
one if you also want KEY_RESTART).

An example from arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-dnskw.dtsi would be

        gpio_keys {
                compatible = "gpio-keys";
                #address-cells = <1>;
                #size-cells = <0>;
                pinctrl-0 = <&pmx_button_power &pmx_button_unmount
                             &pmx_button_reset>;
                pinctrl-names = "default";

                button at 1 {
                        label = "Power button";
                        linux,code = <KEY_POWER>;
                        gpios = <&gpio1 2 GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW>;
                };
                button at 2 {
                        label = "USB unmount button";
                        linux,code = <KEY_EJECTCD>;
                        gpios = <&gpio1 15 GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW>;
                };
                button at 3 {
                        label = "Reset button";
                        linux,code = <KEY_RESTART>;
                        gpios = <&gpio1 16 GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW>;
                };
        };

This also includes pinctrl configuration, which you can skip on
qemu, if you assume that the gpio is already configured in the
right way.

>From the user space side, this should work just like the ACPI
button stuff that emits KEY_POWER or KEY_SLEEP on its
input-device.

	Arnd