dma_alloc_coherent versus streaming DMA, neither works satisfactory

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Wed Apr 29 05:49:26 PDT 2015

On 29-04-15 12:41, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 April 2015 12:33:00 Mike Looijmans wrote:
>>>
>>> If my suspicion is correct, we should either change arm_coherent_dma_ops()
>>> to refer to a different mmap() callback that does the right thing for
>>> coherent devices, or change arm_dma_mmap() to look at dev->is_coherent.
>>
>> Following the route, arch/arm/mm/dma-mapping.c uses pgprot_dmacoherent() which
>> is defined in arch/arm/include/asm/pgtable.h and that just returns uncached
>> memory.
>>
>> If you can give me some hints as to what the correct flags would be, I can
>> patch my kernel and test it.
>
> Use the flags that Russell listed above.

I would if I had a clue how to do that. For one thing, I don't understand all
the L_PTE_... flag juggling that happens here.

I also tried just using kmalloc() to allocate the buffer, and then
dma_map_single that. This is what the DMA documentation told me to do for
non-coherent mappings. This works fine for the streaming-dma mode using the
HP, but using dma-coherent this not only fails to work, it tends to completely
lock the system.

Avoiding the streaming mapping and using only the coherent modes prevents the
system locking up, it then doesn't do more harm than just corrupting data in
the buffers.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert