[RFC/RFT 2/6] clk: qcom: Add runtime support to handle clocks using PM clocks

Ulf Hansson ulf.hansson at linaro.org
Wed Apr 29 05:31:44 PDT 2015

On 29 April 2015 at 13:30, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> Hi Rajendra,

>>> That looks similar to what we have on R-Mobile: some devices are in
>>> controllable power areas, other are in an "always on" power area. All
>>> (most)
>>> devices have controllable clocks, which we also control through the PM
>>> domain. "git grep sysc-rmobile" will point you to the related code and
>>> DTS.
>>
>> Geert, thanks, I was wondering how you handle the !CONFIG_PM case for
>> rmobile. I mean who turns the clocks on for the devices when you build
>> with CONFIG_PM disabled?
>
> We still use pm_clk_add_notifier() in drivers/sh/pm_runtime.c if
> CONFIG_PM_GENERIC_DOMAINS_OF=n. Hence the second instance of
> pm_clk_notify() will enable the clocks at driver binding time.
> Hardware power domains are assumed enabled by reset state/the boot
> loader.

Yes, it a bit tricky - but I guess that's the current only viable
solution if we have when using the pm_clk API.

> Given the amount of PM infrastructure involved when hardware power and
> clock domains are involved, I think at one point we'll have to start restricting
> our builds to CONFIG_PM=y.

I don't think that would solve the problem, since you may still have
cross SoC drivers which may be used without CONFIG_PM.

So all SoC that uses a driver which expects clocks to be managed using
PM clocks from a PM domain, will need the above "trick". Right?

Kind regards
Uffe