dma_alloc_coherent versus streaming DMA, neither works satisfactory

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Wed Apr 29 03:33:00 PDT 2015

On 29-04-15 12:07, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 April 2015 11:47:37 Mike Looijmans wrote:

>>> Note that outer_sync() is already done by readl/writel and/or the write
>>> memory barriers (mb()/wmb()).
>>
>> I initiate the DMA transfers using iowrite32() so if I understand correctly,
>> I'm already doing the right thing here.
>>
>> Just to be completely clear, there is no direct register access from user
>> space, the driver does all MMIO. Userspace only gets an mmap for DMA buffers,
>> and uses ioctl to initiate transfers.
>
> Ok, that seems all fine then.

>>> The buffer should also be mapped into userspace with the same memory
>>> type and cache attributes as the kernel side mapping.  If using ACP,
>>> then you probably want "normal memory, cacheable, writeback, read
>>> allocate" or in the case of SMP, the same but "read/write allocate".
>>
>> I currently use dma_alloc_coherent() to allocate buffers and
>> dma_mmap_coherent() to map them to user space. I was under the assumption that
>> these would do the right thing. Is that correct? If not, then what should I use?
>
> dma_mmap_coherent() is the right interface, but I've just looked at the
> implementation of arm_dma_mmap() and I'm not sure that it actually uses the
> correct vma->vm_page_prot value here, because I don't see where it takes
> into account whether the device is coherent or not. Most ARM machines have
> only noncoherent devices, and dma_mmap_coherent() is used rarely by drivers,
> so it's quite possible that this interface got broken without anybody
> noticing.
>
> If my suspicion is correct, we should either change arm_coherent_dma_ops()
> to refer to a different mmap() callback that does the right thing for
> coherent devices, or change arm_dma_mmap() to look at dev->is_coherent.

Following the route, arch/arm/mm/dma-mapping.c uses pgprot_dmacoherent() which
is defined in arch/arm/include/asm/pgtable.h and that just returns uncached
memory.

If you can give me some hints as to what the correct flags would be, I can
patch my kernel and test it.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert