[RFC/RFT 2/6] clk: qcom: Add runtime support to handle clocks using PM clocks

Rajendra Nayak rnayak at codeaurora.org
Mon Apr 27 19:52:04 PDT 2015

On 04/28/2015 01:32 AM, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven <geert at linux-m68k.org> writes:

>>> but these are devices which do not really have a controllable power
>>> domain, they just have controllable clocks.

>>> But that would mean I repeat the same code in all drivers to do a
>>> clk_get/prepare/enable/disable/unprepare of the same "core" and "iface"
>>> clocks. I thought we have clock_ops.c just to avoid that (atleast up
>>> until we have a better way of doing it)
>>> And there are atleast a few architecture which have used it to avoid the
>>> duplication across all drivers (omap1/davinci/sh/keystone)
>>
>> At least for arm/shmobile, we're planning to move away from this, cfr.
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-sh/msg41114.html
>
> Just to clarify for Rajendra's sake...
>
> SH is moving away from the pm_clk_add_notifier(), but not duplicating
> the clk_get/prepare/enable/disable/unprepare across all the drivers.
>
> Rather, they're using a genpd to model the clock domain, and taking
> advantage of the pm_domain speciic attach callback to attach the PM
> clocks.
>
> This should work for qcom also assuming that these device nodes don't
> also need to belong to a different PM domain.

Thanks Kevin, I did look up the patches that Geert pointed me to, and
figured I can do something similar for qcom as well like you said.

There are 2 types of devices that I will need to handle, one which have
clocks and also a power switch to turn the power domain on/off (camera,
graphics, display), and others which only have clocks and no power
switch to control the power domain (serial, sdhc, i2c, spi).

I was already using genpd attach/detach to handle clocks for the
devices with a power switch and genpd on/off to turn the PD on and off.
I guess I can also control the rest of the devices the same way, just
that the genpd on/off for them would do nothing.
That way I don't have to use pm_clk_add_notifier() and can also
associate the power domain (with no on/off control) to devices
through DT (and there isn;t any duplication of code in the drivers)