ARM errata 430973 on multi platform kernels

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Tue Apr 7 07:48:26 PDT 2015

* Matthijs van Duin <matthijsvanduin at gmail.com> [150406 20:50]:
> On 7 April 2015 at 04:23, Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com> wrote:
> > Oops, sorry user error.. I was trying to clear IBE as a banked register
> > like L2 enable bit and of course it did not get cleared.. Clearing it
> > with a smc call really clears it. And in that case my test case seems to
> > work reliably on r3p2 without erratum 430973 enabled.
>
> So if I understand correctly, you actually had crashes which only
> occurred with IBE enabled and the 430973 workaround disabled?

That's right. It seems to happen at least with r3p2 that has 430973
fixed.

> That's quite interesting, since it seems to me that can only be the
> result of erratum 687067, which means
> 1. secrom indeed fails to implement the 687067 workaround.
> 2. "BTB invalidate by MVA" is used somewhere in the kernel.
> The 430973 workaround would likely conceal this problem due to
> regularly flushing the whole BTB, but I'm not sure how wise it is to
> rely on that...

Yes it seems to be hidden behind 430973. Anyways, we can print some
warnings in the kernel for incorrect revision and IBE handling.

> > I'm now thinking the kernel should just always set the 430973 specific
> > cpu_v7_switch_mm for all cortex-a8 if IBE bit is set.
>
> And simply take the performance hit if secrom bogusly sets it and the
> bootloader doesn't fix it?

Yes it seems Russell's patch should do that for cortex-a8.

> Sounds reasonable enough to me, given how platform-specific the
> appropriate auxcr config is, as well as the means by which it can be
> changed.

Right, we have quite a few combinations already for omap3.. 34xx/36xx,
HS/GP, TI vs Nokia bootrom.. Just proves how useless all these
"security" "features" are in the long run :) They will just keep
biting people over and over in the long run even if not used.

> There's more secrom misconfiguration that the bootloader should fix
> anyhow to make optimal use of the processor...

Yeah.

> > This will work as long as we can read the aux ctrl register IBE
> > bit using mrc, which I believe is the case for all cortex-a8 based
> > omap variants.
>
> Aux control is always readable, only write is an issue.

OK, hopefully that's the case for 36xx HS version too.. I recall some
registers reading as zero on N9 but hopefully not for the aux control
register.

> On 7 April 2015 at 05:12, Sebastian Reichel <sre at kernel.org> wrote:
> > If I understood it correctly we can simply call the BTB flush on
> > cortex-a8 if IBE bit is not set, since it would be translated as
> > nop.
>
> Indeed you can safely use the BTB-flushing context switch on any cortex-a8.
>
> There's still value in checking if IBE is set on r2p1 or later, and if
> so emit a warning about suboptimal performance.
>
> > So it should be safe to include the call on all cortex-a8 based
> > cpus. We may need a non-BTB-flushing function for non-cortex-a8
> > based cpus, though.
>
> I just looked it up, apparently BTB-flushing on context switch is not
> needed architecturally in ARMv7 (though it was in ARMv6), so that
> version should probably indeed only be used for the cortex-a8.

OK

Regards,

Tony