ARM errata 430973 on multi platform kernels

Matthijs van Duin matthijsvanduin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 09:50:38 PDT 2015

On 5 April 2015 at 09:23, Ivaylo Dimitrov <ivo.g.dimitrov.75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Though I wonder why SMC is needed to write ACR on non-HS devices. A simple
> MRC should suffice, unless I miss something.

Public-world access to ACR varies per bit:
bit 1 (L2EN) is documented as banked, but at least on r3p2 turns out
to be common r/w.
bits 30-31 are secure read-only and public RAZ.
remaining bits are secure read/write and public read-only.

The net effect is that doing an MRC from public world will only modify
the L2EN bit.

There's no bit in the non-secure access control register to affect all
of this, so GP vs HS doesn't matter here (from a CPU point of view; it
may matter for the availability of SM calls obviously).

Matthijs