[GIT PULL] ARM: mvebu: fixes for v3.17

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Tue Sep 23 08:58:18 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 09:51:57PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 04:34:23AM -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > oops, resend to include the arm alias.  sorry.
> >
> > Guys,
> >
> > Here's everything we've collected so far wrt mvebu.  I don't see
> > anything else on the horizon atm.  These have been in -next for a while.
> >
> > Please pull.
> >
> > thx,
> >
> > Jason.
> >
> > The following changes since commit 7d1311b93e58ed55f3a31cc8f94c4b8fe988a2b9:
> >
> >   Linux 3.17-rc1 (2014-08-16 10:40:26 -0600)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> >   git://git.infradead.org/linux-mvebu.git tags/mvebu-fixes-3.17
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to ace8578182dc347b043c0825b9873f62fdaa5b77:
> >
> >   ARM: mvebu: Netgear RN102: Use Hardware BCH ECC (2014-09-14 04:17:13 +0000)

> > mvebu fixes for v3.17
> >
> >  - kirkwood
> >     - final driver cleanup of ARCH_KIRKWOOD removal
> >     - fix DT based DSA
> >
> >  - mvebu
> >     - use BCH ECC for the RN2120 and RN104/2 nand chips

> > Andrew Lunn (8):
> >       cpuidle: kirkwood: Remove ARCH_KIRKWOOD dependency
> >       ata: Remove ARCH_KIRKWOOD dependency
> >       thermal: Remove ARCH_KIRKWOOD dependency
> >       leds: Remove ARCH_KIRKWOOD dependency
> >       rtc: Remove ARCH_KIRKWOOD dependency
> >       watchdog: Remove ARCH_KIRKWOOD dependency
> >       cpufreq: Remove ARCH_KIRKWOOD dependency
> >       ARM: Kirkwood: Fix DT based DSA.
> >
> > Arnaud Ebalard (2):
> >       ARM: mvebu: Netgear RN104: Use Hardware BCH ECC
> >       ARM: mvebu: Netgear RN2120: Use Hardware BCH ECC
> >
> > klightspeed at killerwolves.net (1):
> >       ARM: mvebu: Netgear RN102: Use Hardware BCH ECC
>
> Hi,
>
> We've been dragging pull requests for a while (we've both been
> busy). However, we're past possibly the last -rc and need to crank down
> in what we consider a fix to be.

ok.

> Are any of these strictly required for 3.17 or should I just queue them
> for 3.18 at this point? "Fix DT based DSA" seems from the description
> like it might be the sole 3.17 candidate?

The BCH ECC series of fixes prevents a boot failure when doing kernel
upgrades from userspace.  From the commit log:

"""
    The bootloader on the Netgear ReadyNAS RN104 uses Hardware BCH
    ECC (strength = 4), while the pxa3xx NAND driver by default uses
    Hamming ECC (strength = 1).

    This patch changes the ECC mode on these machines to match that
    of the bootloader and of the stock firmware. That way, it is
    now possible to update the kernel from userland (e.g. using
    standard tools from mtd-utils package); u-boot will happily
    load and boot it.

    The issue was initially reported and fixed by Ben Pedell for
    RN102. The RN104 shares the same Hynix H27U1G8F2BTR NAND
    flash and setup. This patch is based on Ben's fix for RN102.
"""

I'll admit it could have been more clear that it was a fix. :-/

They're all flagged for stable (with the exception of the ARCH_KIRKWOOD
removal), so honestly, if you wanted to push this branch as
mvebu/fixes-non-critical for v3.18-rc1, we could do that instead.

The DSA fix isn't fixing a regression, it never worked.  Same with the
BCH ECC.

I'm fine either way.

thx,

Jason.