[RFC] arm: Handle starting up in secure mode

Sonny Rao sonnyrao at chromium.org
Fri Sep 19 09:52:17 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Catalin Marinas
<catalin.marinas at arm.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 02:22:10PM +0100, Christopher Covington wrote:

>> > If you're relying on the boot loader to set up the GIC to support
>> > non-secure access anyway, why not just have it boot the kernel in Hyp
>> > like the boot protocol document recommends? (The same thing as the GIC
>> > is going to apply for any other hardware that needs configuration to
>> > allow NS access; if we need the firmware to deal with this we might as
>> > well just have it boot us in the right mode too.)
>>
>> I'd like to get rid of as much of the bootwrapper as possible (having gotten
>> spoiled by using QEMU's built-in bootloader). I'm just taking it one step at a
>> time. Handling GIC initialization in the kernel is probably the next step.
>
> The problem is that the kernel doesn't know about GIC until much later.
> So I don't see an easy workaround, other than relying on the boot-loader
> to do the right thing (and then we go to the point Peter made about
> changing it to start Linux in Hyp mode directly).

Well, for us, the issue is that our boot-loader isn't involved in
secondary cpu startup, either at boot time nor suspend/resume or cpu
hotplug/power gating.
So we certainly could have the boot loader set up the GIC for
non-secure access and then this type of solution would work, though
I'm not sure what else might need to be set up for non-secure access.