[RFC 4/4] ARM: shmobile: r8a7790: adapt DTS for I2C slave support

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Fri Sep 12 03:10:37 PDT 2014

Hi Wolfram,

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Wolfram Sang <wsa at the-dreams.de> wrote:
> 2) Slave mode is needed for board bringup
>
> Some other components need a specific I2C slave to be present before
> userspace is available, otherwise the system is unusable. This is IMO
> then a hardware description and justifies DT entries:

OK, I didn't think this case, which is similar to an external device requiring
a GPIO to be at a specific level.

> DT pseudocode:
>
>         i2c {
>                 compatible = "nvidia, tegra-i2c";
>
>                 ec-slave at 42 {
>                         compatible = "nvidia, ax100-ec-slave";
>                         reg = <0x42>;
>                 };
>         };

So distinguishing between drivers providing slave services (using slave
mode) and drivers driving actual slave hardware (using master mode) is
done based on the compatible-property.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds