[Patch Part2 v3 15/24] x86, MSI: Use hierarchy irqdomain to manage MSI interrupts

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Fri Oct 31 07:00:50 PDT 2014

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, Jiang Liu wrote:
> On 2014/10/29 5:37, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > Then it calls down the domain allocation chain. x86_msi_domain would
> > simply hand down to the parent domain. That would either be the remap
> > domain or the vector domain.
> The issue here is that, the hierarchy irqdomain maintains a tree
> topology and every irqdomain only supports one parent.
>
> In case of irq remapping, we need to build one irqdomain for each IOMMU
> unit to support hotplug and simplify the implementation. So we need to
> build one MSI irqdomain for each IOMMU unit too instead of using a
> common MSI irqdomain.

That makes indeed a difference.

> Current design is that, a common MSI irqdomain to support all MSI when
> irq remapping is disabled, and one MSI irqdomain for each IOMMU unit
> when irq remapping is enabled.

> So we have the code below to choose the correct irqdomain for MSI.
>         domain = irq_remapping_get_irq_domain(&info);
>         if (domain == NULL)
>                 domain = msi_default_domain;
>         if (domain == NULL)
>                 return -ENOSYS;

Right. I guess we need to keep it that way for now.

But looking at the code makes me wonder why we actually need to call
into the remap code and do a list walk to figure the domain out. The
association of device and iommu should be known at startup/hotplug
time already. That's out of the scope of this work, but should be
fixed eventually.

Thanks,

	tglx