[BISECTED] arm: mvebu: Kernel hang after ae9304c9d311 if OF_SELFTEST=y

Gregory CLEMENT gregory.clement at free-electrons.com
Thu Oct 23 04:49:50 PDT 2014

Hi Arnaud,

On 23/10/2014 13:00, Arnaud Ebalard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to boot a 3.17.1 (same thing w/ current tip of Linus tree or
> 3.17.1) on two Marvell Armada 370 based platforms (NETGEAR ReadyNAS
> 102 and Synology DS213j) ends up w/ the following:
>
>    Starting kernel ...
>
>    Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
>    Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000bde).
>
>    Available machine support:
>
>    ID (hex)        NAME
>    ffffffff        Generic DT based system
>    ffffffff        Marvell Armada 380/385 (Device Tree)
>    ffffffff        Marvell Armada 375 (Device Tree)
>    ffffffff        Marvell Armada 370/XP (Device Tree)
>
>    Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
>
> I bisected it up to ae9304c9d31117 ("Adding selftest testdata
> dynamically into live tree"). For a while, my kernels are compiled w/
> OF_SELFTEST and it works w/o issue. After that commit, boot hangs as

It would be interesting to have a feedback of a kernel with an appended dtb
and OF_SELFTEST enabled to a different platform (ie non mvebu). Then we
will know if it something related to mvebu or to the device tree support.

I will try to see if I can do this.

> presented above. Disabling the option solves the issue on 3.17 and
> also for current tip of Linus tree. Reverting the commit on those
> kernel is not straightforward.
>
> A config is attached.
>
> Cheers,
>
> a+
>
> ps: my platforms all boot a kernel w/ an appended dtb.

Thanks for you report,

Gregory

--
Gregory Clement, Free Electrons