[RFT v2 01/24] irqdomain: Introduce new interfaces to support hierarchy irqdomains

Jiang Liu jiang.liu at linux.intel.com
Mon Oct 6 18:50:05 PDT 2014

On 2014/9/30 18:56, Abel wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> On 2014/9/29 23:53, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Abel wrote:
>>> I've been through your patches and noticed that the only domain
>>> which does not call irq_domain_alloc_irqs_parent() is
>>> x86_vector_domain. And this makes sense *if* we already knew which
>>> domain is the nearest one to the CPU.
>>
>> Right, and in case of x86 the vector domain _IS_ the one which is
>> always the nearest one to the cpu.
>
> Yes, I know that. :)
> What I meant is... (please see below)
>

>>> But I don't think a well implemented device driver should assume
>>> itself be in a particular position of the interrupt delivery path.
>>
>> The device driver has no knowledge of this. The irq domain driver
>> definitely has to know to some extent.
>>
>>> Actually it should be guaranteed by the core infrastructure that all
>>> the domains in the interrupt delivery path should allocate a
>>> hardware interrupt for the interrupt source.
>>
>> Well, that's what we do. We allocate down the irq domain hierarchy. If
>> one level fails the whole operation fails.
>
> Actually the core infrastructure just calls domain->ops->alloc() which is
> the one who really guarantees it by calling irq_domain_alloc_irqs_parent().
> I think it's enough for a particular domain to pick a hwirq from itself for
> that linux irq, and need not to care about its parent.
> What I suggest is something like:
>
> for (iter = domain; iter; iter = iter->parent) {
> 	ret = iter->ops->alloc(iter, virq, nr_irqs, arg);
> 	if (ret < 0) {
> 		mutex_unlock(&irq_domain_mutex);
> 		goto out_free_irq_data;
> 	}
> }
>
> in this way, the core infrastructure guarantees allocating down the irqdomain
> hierarchy, and the implementers of domain_ops->alloc() need not to call
> irq_domain_alloc_irqs_parent() any longer, just do the things they have to.
Hi Abel,
	We have considered the above design when implementing hierarchy
irqdomain, but adopted the irq_domain_alloc_irqs_parent().
The core could only support pre-order or post-order processing,
it could support pre-order, post-order, pre-/post-order processing by
using irq_domain_alloc_irqs_parent(). So we choose it for flexibility.
Regards!
Gerry