Fixing boot-time hiccups in your display

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 02:48:01 PDT 2014

Hi

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/05/2014 10:01 PM, Mike Turquette wrote:
>> Quoting jonsmirl at gmail.com (2014-10-05 10:09:52)
>>> I edited the subject line to something more appropriate. This impacts
>>> a lot of platforms and we should be getting more replies from people
>>> on the ARM kernel list. This is likely something that deserves a
>>> Kernel Summit discussion.
>>
>> ELC-E and LPC are just around the corner as well. I am attending both. I
>> suppose some of the others interested in this topic will be present?
>
> Having a get together about this there sounds very good. I'm willing to
> organize this. If you want to attend please reply to this thread (or drop
> me a personal mail) with when you will be available to attend, then I'll
> pick a time where hopefully we will all be available, and I'll try to get
> a room for this, not sure if I'll be able to get a room, if not we will
> just need to find a quiet spot in the lobby or some such.
>
> I'll be present for the entire week too. Monday I'll be at the u-boot
> mini-conf. Thursday and Friday I'll be at the Linux Kernel Media mini-summit,
> and Friday afternoon I'll be at the Wayland mini-conf.
>
> If this causes scheduling problems, I can miss parts of the media mini-summit,
> and if I really have to I can maybe miss some parts of the u-boot mini-conf,
> I cannot walk out of the Wayland track as I'm one of the session leaders
> there.

I've been working on the gfx-device hand-over with SimpleDRM for some
time now. I fully agree with Hans. This has to be a per-device
hand-over. This works totally fine on x86 already and it should be
easy to get done for other devices. I have ported SimpleDRM to
non-VESA drivers and it works just fine, and I'm open to rename it to
firmware-drm / fwdrm / whatever and add real hardware support.
simplefb was meant to be hw-agnostic, so I understand that Stephen
doesn't want to extend it. But before we start adding more fbdev
drivers, I honestly think we should at least try pushing such a DRM
driver upstream.

I will be talking about this at XDC this week, and in the
Wayland-microconf at Plumbers. I am open for discussion. If people
want this, I can refresh my sysfb+simpledrm series and send a pull
request to Dave. He was already willing to merge it, but I wanted to
cleanup the drm BKL first..

Thanks
David