[RFC 0/2] Qualcomm RPM sleep states

Bjorn Andersson bjorn.andersson at sonymobile.com
Wed Nov 26 14:49:52 PST 2014

On Mon 24 Nov 16:02 PST 2014, Stephen Boyd wrote:

> On 11/24/2014 01:59 PM, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> > On Mon 24 Nov 13:19 PST 2014, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> >
> > [..]
> >> What exactly are we circumventing? I can only guess that we're talking
> >> about the aggregation logic?
> >>
> > We're circumventing the fact that the regulator core doesn't have knowledge
> > about our multiple presented views of the same resource.
>
> Sorry I don't follow here. Why would the regulator framework care about
> the different views of a resource? Each regulator we make for the
> different views will reflect the request made by Linux for a particular
> set of that RPM resource. So all consumers who are using the S3 active +
> sleep set regulator will aggregate into one request. Likewise, all the
> consumers for the S3 active set regulator will aggregate into another
> request. The only thing that isn't visible is the aggregation between
> the active only and active + sleep regulators, but that can be
> determined by doing a max() of the regulators. Even then, if we consider

My concern was the outcome of this snippet:

regulator_disable(ldo1_active);
regulator_enable(ldo1_both);
regulator_is_enable(ldo1_active);

But after reviewing it again, if one treat it in any other way then 'both' and
'active' being separate on a regulator driver level the end result will not be
sane.

So you're right, if we're to expose X number of regulators per resource they
have to be separate devices.

> that there are other masters also requesting voltages or enable/disable
> for these resources we quickly discover there are other things the
> regulator core doesn't have knowledge about, like what the actual
> voltage is or if the regulator is really off vs. Linux requesting for it
> to be off.

As you say, we're quite a bit down the rabbit hole already by not even being
able to query the hardware for its current state.

> > As the downstream driver shows, if we just implement the right pieces it should
> > work, i.e. give us the correct end result, but it will not be future proof nor
> > pretty. That's why I think we need to discuss how to solve it either in the
> > regulator driver or in the framework.
> >
> > And based on your feedback, it looks like we would have to do something about
> > this in the framework.
>
> I don't see any problems with making multiple regulators for one RPM
> resource that represent the active set or active + sleep set. Everything
> could be handled in the RPM regulator driver by looking for the other
> regulators that are acting on the same RPM resource and aggregating.
> Maybe you can elaborate on what you think isn't future proof nor pretty
> about this design?

If the regulators are considered completely separate, then the regulator
framework would not notice. I was, incorrectly, assuming that some state was
shared between them.

The "not pretty" part comes from the regulator driver (or a common parent
entity) needing to know what other regulators share a resource and thereby
aggregating the requests. An aggregation that does look a lot like the one
already done in the regulator core.

> As a thought experiment, what if there really was two physical
> independent controllable regulators and a pin from the CPU to the PMIC
> toggled a mux to select between the two. Such a pin would only be
> asserted when the CPU turned off. Would you still want to expose this as
> one regulator to the kernel given that only one supply goes to the CPU
> at any given time?

I think we would have to expose this as two different regulators to the non-cpu
consumers, as that looks like the only way we can affect the "both state".

A possible way around that would be to have the individual regulators exposed
and then provide a regulator with both specified as supply. The regulator core
would aggregate "both" and individual consumer requests to the individual
regulators - without the need of the regulator devices needing to know about
each other.

Something like:
s3a: pm8921_s3_active {
	compatible = "pm8921-smps";
};

s3s: pm8921_s3_sleep {
	compatible = "pm8921-smps";
	sleep; /* <- make requests affect the sleep state only */
};

pm8921_s3 {
	compatible = "dual-supply-regulator";

	active-supply = <&s3a>;