How many frequencies would cpufreq optimally like to manage?

Mason mpeg.blue at free.fr
Tue Nov 25 13:52:31 PST 2014

On 25/11/2014 16:19, Viresh Kumar wrote:

> On 25 November 2014 at 18:32, Mason <mpeg.blue at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell, on my SoC, the timer runs at 27 MHz.
>> But I have no idea how often it fires an interrupt.
>
> 27 MHz is the freq it runs at, but we get interrupt based on the value
> programmed in the timer counter.
>
> Look for CONFIG_HZ in your .config, that will tell you number of ticks
> you are getting per second.
>
> But cpufreq works in another level and so it doesn't depend on both
> these.

If I remember correctly (please correct me if I am mistaken),
the kernel keeps a list of timers, ordered by deadline, and
dynamically configures the system timer to fire at the next
deadline.

> Look for: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
> this is the rate at which cpufreq core checks if cpu's freq require revisiting.

I think setting the sampling rate to 50 ms should make the
system reactive enough to load swings?

>> This 'struct clk' is an elusive beast.
>> Where is it defined? I only run into forward declarations.
>
> Its architecture specific. What's the architecture you are working on?
> You may implement your own routine instead of cpufreq_generic_get().

The SoC is made by Sigma Designs. It is based on the ARM Cortex-A9.

> Yes. Documentation/clk.txt.

Oh boy! platform, device tree, cpu-freq, cpuidle, clk, ... so much
to learn, so few hours in a day.

> Yeah. You should be able to get some call from your architecture.

OK, I have to fix that function along with the cpufreq update.

Regards.