For the problem when using swiotlb

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Nov 19 23:40:00 PST 2014

On Thursday 20 November 2014 10:57:53 Ding Tianhong wrote:
> On 2014/11/19 16:45, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >> Thanks everyone, I think I found the way to fix it, need to enable DMA_CMA, to reserve a big memory
> >> for CMA and set coherent mask for dev, then dma_alloc and dma_mapping will not use the swiotlb until
> >> the memory out of mask or swiotlb_force is enabled.
> >>
> >> If I still understand uncorrectly, please inform me.
> >>

> > Please do not use CMA to work around the problem, but fix the underlying bug
> > instead.
> >
> > The driver should call 'dma_set_mask_and_coherent()' with the appropriate
> > dma mask, and check whether that succeeded. However, the code implementing
> > dma_set_mask_and_coherent on arm64 also needs to be changed to look up
> > the dma-ranges property (see of_dma_configure()), and check if the mask
> > is possible.
> >
> The dma_pfn_offset looks only support arm32, but my platform is aarch64 and I check the latest kernel version,
> I think the dma-rangs still could not work for aarch64, so maybe we should add dma_pfn_offset for aarch64 first.

I didn't mean the dma_pfn_offset. The problem is that the of_dma_configure
code currently doesn't look at the mask. As I explained in my reply to
Catalin, it should set the mask to the size of the dma-ranges if that is
32-bit or smaller, and dma_set_mask should look at the same dma-ranges
property to decide what to set the mask to when a driver asks for a
mask larger than 64-bit.

	Arnd