ARM atomics overhaul for musl

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Mon Nov 17 09:38:46 PST 2014

On Nov 17, 2014 6:39 AM, "Russell King - ARM Linux"
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 01:54:13PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 05:10:55PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > > which means that rather than encoding the
> > > CPU architecture (like with every other Linux architecture), we have a
> > > string which encodes the kernel architecture instead, which is absurd.
> >
> > Just like x86_64 vs i686?
>
> That is still valid, but let's wait and see what happens when a new
> "version" of x86_64 comes along.
>
> However, the issue on x86 is far less of a problem: userspace (even
> kernel space) does not have to play these games because the CPUs aren't
> designed by people intent on removing old instructions from the
> instruction set, thereby stopping existing binaries working without
> kernel emulation of the missing instructions.
>
> > > Obviously, the plan for ARM64 is that there will never be an ARMv9
> > > architecture, and ARMv8 is the perfect architecture for the future. :p
> >
> > If you haven't noticed, the distinction between ARMv6 and ARMv7 has been
> > blurred enough (guess why cpu_architecture() reports ARMv7 for
> > ARM11MPCore). ARM is trying to move away from architecture version
> > numbers, which are rather useful for marketing, to proper feature
> > detection based on CPUID. Whether there is an ARMv9 or not, it's
> > irrelevant to what Linux should do (i.e. use CPUID rather than guess
> > features based on architecture version numbers).
>
> That may be what is desired, but unfortunately we have no way to export
> all the intricate feature registers to userspace.  No, elf hwcaps don't
> support it, there's only 64 bits split between two words there, and
> there are many more than just 64 bits of feature registers.

That's a ridiculous argument.  Linux can freely add bits.

You could add AT_ARM_FEATURES that points to a length followed by the
indicated number of words, or you could just keep adding new HWCAP
fields as needed.  This is expandable forever.

As an x86 person and a complete ARM outsider, this situation is
totally nuts.  There is no good reason *not* to have feature bits, and
even in x86 land, relying on the architecture version is dangerous.
(Intel seems to be reinstating version 5 right now with Quark, and
even that is having minor issues since it's not really quite a version
5 chip.)

> Given that even cocked these up (just as what happened with the cache
> type register) decoding of the feature type registers depends on the
> underlying CPU architecture.
>
> So, even _if_ we exported the feature registers to userspace, you still
> need to know the CPU architecture to decode them properly, so you still
> need to parse the AT_PLATFORM string to get that information.

There's no need to expose the hardware feature registers as is.
Define your own sensible feature bits just for Linux.

Yes, libc implementations will need a fallback for old kernels, but at
least the set of legacy configurations that need to be supported that
way will stop increasing at some point.

--Andy