[Patch V1 0/6] Refine generic/PCI MSI irqodmian interfaces

Marc Zyngier marc.zyngier at arm.com
Fri Nov 14 08:13:27 PST 2014

On 14/11/14 15:54, Jiang Liu wrote:
> On 2014/11/14 5:28, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>>>
>>> Right. That's what I roughly had in mind. And that would solve the
>>> multi-iommu issue on x86 nicely as well. We establish the association
>>> at the time where the bus gets populated. So the whole lookup magic
>>> simply goes away.
>>
>> Great. I've pushed the whole thing out with this patch, the couple
>> of fixes I mentioned earlier, as well as the whole ITS code:
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git irq/stacked-its-v2
> Hi Marc,
> 	I have looked at the code, and found some issues.
> 1) With my next version, no need to implemeent its_pci_msi_free()
> anymore. msi_domain_free_irqs() will reset desc->irq to zero
> for all architectures.

Great. The less code, the better.

> 2) This piece of code in its_msi_prepare() may run into trouble
> for PCI device with both MSI and MSIX capability. I will change
> msi_prepare() prototype to pass in the "nvec" parameter. And you
> may access first_pci_msi_entry()->msi_attrib.is_msix to get
> allocation type if needed.
> 	nvec = pci_msix_vec_count(pdev);
> 	if (nvec < 0)
> 		nvec = pci_msi_vec_count(pdev);
> 	if (nvec < 0)
> 		return nvec;

Ah, good point. Having nvec will make things simpler indeed. I have the
feeling that the ITS driver may not be the only one to require such a thing.

> 3) Do we need to increase the default of NUM_MSI_ALLOC_SCRATCHPAD_REGS
> to 4? 2 is a little too limited.

I'd say that 2 is enough for now. The ITS only uses one (the second one
is for debug only). Should the need arise, we can bump it up later.

Thanks,

	M.