AMR: sun7i: CPU hotplug support?

Marc Zyngier marc.zyngier at arm.com
Mon Nov 10 01:17:28 PST 2014

On 10/11/14 08:25, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2014-11-10 07:03, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 2014-11-10 00:17, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>>> Hi Jan,

>>> Having hotplug support would indeed be very welcome.
>>>
>>> However, it should be done in u-boot, through PSCI, and not in
>>> the kernel itself.
>>>
>>> As far as I'm aware, no one worked actively on it, beside some
>>> WIP commit from Marc a while ago:
>>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/maz/u-boot.git/commit/?h=wip/psci&id=45379c0f9cf812f0f62722f4015ec907fa5dc144

OK - I guess I will need a little guidance in then: Is there a good
>> reference board to study and to derive from? And maybe also: What
>> is missing or not working in that u-boot branch? If I get this
>> interface right, I just takes some device tree bits to enable
>> this for the kernel afterward, correct?
>
> Started to play with that patch in naive ways: CPU0 locks up when
> offlining CPU1 - unless I disable the FIQ signal from CPU1. Then
> it "works", both offlining and onlining again. However, I suspect
> that this only parks CPU1 in wfi and does not do anything
> interesting to it.

Here's how this is supposed to work:
- CPU1 sends a FIQ to CPU0, bringing it into secure mode.
- CPU0 then kills CPU1 by doing the magic incantations on the power
controller

What is missing here is all the cache cleaning before signalling CPU0.
If you add that, things should look a lot better (patches welcome).

Thanks,

	M.