gcc 4.9 build warnings (was: Re: arm-soc build: 2917 warnings 0 failures (arm-soc/v3.18-rc1-20-g06c0773))

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Nov 6 05:20:53 PST 2014

On Thursday 06 November 2014 14:08:37 Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 6 November 2014 13:59, Thierry Reding <thierry.reding at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, but where are %zu and %zd implemented in gcc? I've looked but
> >> couldn't find it. For all I can tell is that gcc's own interpretation
> >> of %z doesn't match its definition of __SIZE_TYPE__ when building for
> >> bare-metal.
> >
> > I think the code you're looking for is gcc/c-family/c-format.c in
> > function format_type_warning() (and its callers). Now my understanding
> > of GCC internals is fairly limited, but what I think is happening is
> > that the matching happens on the exact typedef, so even if size_t is
> > typedef'd to unsigned int and the argument is of type unsigned int the
> > check will still fail and cause the warning.
> >

> Yes, that is what it looks like.

My reading is different, given this comment:

  /* If ARG_TYPE is a typedef with a misleading name (for example,
     size_t but not the standard size_t expected by printf %zu), avoid
     printing the typedef name.  */

I think what happens is that %z accepts size_t only when it is
defined to the right type, but prints a message with the raw
scalar type if the typedef does not match what %z expects.

> > Interestingly I can't seem to reproduce these warnings, neither with the
> > native compiler on my system nor a 4.9.0 ARM cross-compiler. I've used
> > the attached source file as a test case (derived from the code at line
> > 1244 in drivers/regmap/regmap.c, which causes the warning in one of your
>
> The mystery is that arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc does not produce the
> warning, whereas Olof's arm-none-eabi-gcc does (built from the same
> source version, as far as we can tell)

Right, and as Russell pointed out, that compiler has other issues
as well: the size of 'enum' is different and it does not define the
__linux__ macro.

	Arnd