net: fec: fix regression on i.MX28 introduced by rx_copybreak support

Lothar Waßmann LW at KARO-electronics.de
Tue Nov 4 21:21:48 PST 2014

Hi,

David Miller wrote:
> From: Lothar Waßmann <LW at KARO-electronics.de>
> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 11:29:12 +0100
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > Lothar Waßmann wrote:

> >> Nope. DIV_ROUND_UP() would give '1' as upper bound for lengths from 1 to
> >> 4, '2' for lengths from 5 to 8 and so on.
> >>
> >> The loop with increment 4 and i < len does exactly the same.
> >> Try it for yourself, if you don't believe it.
> >>

> > Do you still think, the loop without DIV_ROUND_UP() is incorrect,
> > or can this patch be applied?
>
> I haven't had the time to fully re-look into the details, I'm busy
> with many other things at the moment.
>
> But looking at DIV_ROUND_UP() macro it rounds up.  It gives an
> upper bound of 4 for any value 1 to 4.  Unlike what you claim.

You're missing the 'DIV' part of DIV_ROUND_UP().

> Because it goes "(n + (d - 1)) / d"
>
> Which for 'd' of 4 gives:
>
> 1 --> 4
> 2 --> 4
> 3 --> 4
> 4 --> 4

'1', not '4'.
The loop has to be done once for each (probably partial) WORD of input
data, not for each BYTE.

Without dividing and incrementing by four the loop
counter will be 0 for the first word which is less than any length > 0.
Thus the loop will be run once for any number of bytes from 1 thru 4.
If incremented by 4 after the first loop, it will be run again for any
length > 5 and so forth.

Lothar Waßmann

Ka-Ro electronics GmbH | Pascalstraße 22 | D - 52076 Aachen
Phone: +49 2408 1402-0 | Fax: +49 2408 1402-10
Geschäftsführer: Matthias Kaussen
Handelsregistereintrag: Amtsgericht Aachen, HRB 4996

www.karo-electronics.de | info at karo-electronics.de