[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] ARM legacy board DT conversion finalization

Rob Herring robh at kernel.org
Thu May 22 07:44:27 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

>> > We should really have this in multiplatform soon, I think the last issue
>> > for versatile is common clock support, but Linus Walleij may have more
>> > details about what remains here.
>>
>> While not necessarily the same thing, but does move versatile in the
>> right direction, I've got patches in progress which fully move
>> versatile over to DT. The main issues there are:
>>
>> common clock
>> irq cntlr init from DT
>> Move PCI to DT and platform driver
>>
>> I'd like to do this all in one step to avoid doing things like non-DT
>> common clock init.
>
> Sounds good, yes.
>
>> It's blocked on the common DT PCI code and my free
>> time.
>>
>> There are then a few bits related to mach/plat headers needed move
>> versatile to multiplatform. I think these issues are mostly the same
>> changes that have been done or are needed on integrator which is what
>> Linus has been working on.
>
> Ah, right. I see these two includes from mach-versatile to plat/*.h headers:
>
> arch/arm/mach-versatile/core.c:#include <plat/clcd.h>
> arch/arm/mach-versatile/core.c:#include <plat/sched_clock.h>
>
> We can deal with those by adding
>
> ccflags-y := -I$(srctree)/arch/arm/plat-versatile/include
>
> to mach-versatile/Makefile, or we can rearrange the code. The opposite
> direction would be harder, but I don't see any remaining dependencies
> there.

It looked like more work when I started this, but thanks to Linus's
work on plat dir, it is pretty straight-forward to finish the
conversion. Here's a branch that enables multi-platform for versatile:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/robh/linux.git
versatile-multiplatform

So it is PCI and LEDs that have to be sorted out first.

Rob