maxcpus behavior in arm64

Rohit Vaswani rvaswani at codeaurora.org
Wed May 14 10:49:08 PDT 2014

On 5/14/2014 5:57 AM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 01:10:17AM +0100, Rohit Vaswani wrote:

>>> I don't think there is any particular reason, only that the code has
>>> been derived from arm long time ago and it probably inherited the
>>> original behaviour. In the meantime, arm got commit 7fa22bd5460 (ARM:
>>> 6993/1: platsmp: Allow secondary cpu hotplug with maxcpus=1).
>>>
>>> I'm happy to change the behaviour for arm64. Basically we still call
>>> cpu_prepare() for max_cpus but we initialise the present mask with
>>> init_cpu_present(cpu_possible_mask) as we don't have physical hotplug
>>> for the time being.
>> Thanks. Initializing the present mask with possible mask is good.
>> But, how would one call cpu_prepare on the other CPUS then ?
>> Currently cpu_prepare is called only from smp_prepare_cpus. I was going
>> to suggest calling cpu_prepare for each possible CPU.
>> We could have the for_each_possible_cpu loop in smp_prepare_cpus not
>> depend on max_cpus and call cpu_prepare for the possible cpus.
> For PSCI this would be fine since cpu_prepare() does not bring the CPU
> into the kernel. With spin-table, cpu_prepare brings the CPU up to the
> holding_pen loop. But I don't see a reason why we couldn't do all steps
> in smp_spin_table_cpu_boot() and simply ignore prepare (and we could get
> rid of cpu_prepare altogether).
Agree about smp_spin_table_cpu_boot.
But, w.r.t to PSCI we would need to call cpu_prepare and having those
changes in there is not going to impact spin-table. Sounds good ?
I can send out a patch for this change.

>> I didn't really understand the part of physical hotplug - we have
>> config_hotplug enabled
> What I meant is that possible != present in case of physical hotplug.

Thanks,
Rohit Vaswani

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation