[RFC 2/4] ARM: dts: Add ctrl-core DT node for DRA7

Archit Taneja archit at ti.com
Mon May 5 22:22:32 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Monday 21 April 2014 08:40 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Archit Taneja <archit at ti.com> [140420 22:16]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Friday 18 April 2014 10:48 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>>> * Archit Taneja <archit at ti.com> [140416 06:20]:
>>>
>>> Can you please check if this can just use the existing
>>> regmap syscon mapping:
>>>
>>> syscon = <&dra7_ctrl_general>;
>>>
>>> See how the drivers/regulator/pbias-regulator.c is using the
>>> syscon to initialize a regulator and then omap_hsmmc.c just does
>>> the standard regulator calls.
>>
>> The thing is that this bit needs to be set before the the DSS hwmods are
>> reset, and that happens very early. If we don't do this, DSS won't reset
>> properly, and not get back to an idle state.
>>
>> I am not sure where I can configure the syscon register early enough that it
>> happens before the hwmods are reset. With a syscon mapping, I guess we would
>> access the register when the DSS driver is probed. But that's too late for
>> us.
>>
>> Ideally, it would be much better to have a syscon mapping. Do you have any
>> suggestions how this can be achieved very early in boot?
>
> It's best to move the reset and initialization of DSS happen later. I believe
> we already are resetting only some of the hwmods early on.

I looked at this in some more detail. With the current hwmod
flags(HWMOD_INIT_NO_RESET/NO_IDLE), we still try to enable the IP, it's
just the reset part(ocp reset/custom reset and sysc register) or the
disable part that is skipped. hwmod still tries to enable the IP.

This again results in the same issue.

One thing which wasn't clear was that why do we enable a hwmod in the
first place, if we know that we are going to skip reset?

Archit