syscon or memory mappings (was: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/8] pinctrl-rockchip: Change wrong initial assumptions)

Max Schwarz max.schwarz at online.de
Sat May 3 05:40:36 PDT 2014

Hello Heiko,

On Saturday 03 May 2014 at 01:45:11, Heiko Stübner wrote:
> > However, this sheds light on an underlying issue: Rockchip is not treating
> > the whole GPIO block as one cohesive device as we do currently. Instead,
> > it
> > seems to me, one GPIO bank is one device. Each has its cohesive mux, bank
> > and pull registers - apart from rk3188-bank-0, maybe. But that one is
> > special anyway with regards to register ordering (s.b.).
> >
> > The issues you had with RK3188 and now have with RK3288 seem to stem from
> > trying to group all banks together into one pinctrl driver.
> >
> > So maybe we should promote the GPIO banks to full devices in the dt and
> > make smaller mappings for each GPIO bank, i.e. three mappings for each
> > GPIO bank (mux, bank, pull). I know we have to stay backwards compatible
> > dt-wise, but that should be doable.
>
> Yes, that is another miss-conception from the early days. The
> gpio-controllers themself are actually Synopsis Designware IPs - the kernel
> now even has a separate driver for them (gpio-dwapb). Only the real
> pincontrol/muxing/pull/etc is from Rockchip.
>
> Currently I can't think of a way to move over gracefully, without
> introducing crap into the gpio-dwapb driver. As at the moment it parses all
> information it needs from the dt directly - of course with different
> bindings.
>
> That is also the reason I do not want to introduce more "special-cases" in
> the bank-declaration we're using currently - to not make this move more
> difficult in the future.
>
> As it is, with the patch attached to the last mail, the pinctrl driver
> wouldn't even need the "rockchip,rk3188-gpio-bank0" compatible anymore, as
> the information about its special case is now sitting in the bank
> declaration inside the driver. Which then would enable us to remove the
> gpio-bank subnodes alltogether and use the external gpio driver.

Okay, you convinced me. That sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe we can
introduce some compability code into the pinctrl driver to generate the
correct dt nodes for gpio-dwabp at runtime? I think that would depend on
something like CONFIG_OF_DYNAMIC though.

> While for example syscon cannot handle clocks currently, the underlying
> regmap can - so it would be only a matter of teaching syscon to tell regmap
> of the clock to use (GRF and PMU register-clocks in this case), instead of
> needing to have every user of parts of these registers handle the relevant
> clock itself on register accesses.
>
> Also, as you can see in the grf map, the rk3188 actually has two soc_status
> registers (0xac and 0x108) which have the dmac, cpu and drive strength
> registers in between. So having a syscon only for soc_con and soc_status
> will produce problems too.
>
> Another example, GRF_IO_VSEL at 0x0380 is most likely some sort of pin
> voltage selection. As it only spans 1 register I'd assume it could contain
> settings that span all pin banks.

Okay, we couldn't handle that with individual devices for each bank.

> And of course, splitting the register space into dozens of small individual
> mappings looks messy :-)

Yes, I agree now ;-)

Cheers,
  Max