[RFC] ARM64: 4 level page table translation for 4KB pages

Jungseok Lee jays.lee at samsung.com
Mon Mar 31 20:42:44 EDT 2014

On Monday, March 31, 2014 8:31 PM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> [...]
> > > space described in [1] due to one major issue + one minor issue.
> > >
> > > Firstly, kernel logical memory map (0xffffffc000000000-0xffffffffffffffff)
> > > cannot cover DRAM region from 544GB to 1024GB in [1]. Specifically, ARM64
> > > kernel fails to create mapping for this region in map_mem function
> > > (arch/arm64/mm/mmu.c) since __phys_to_virt for this region reaches to
> > > address overflow. I've used 3.14-rc8+Fast Models to validate the statement.
> >
> > It took me a while to understand what is going on, but it essentially comes
> > down to the logical memory map (0xffffffc000000000-0xffffffffffffffff)
> > being able to represent only RAM in the first 256GB of address space.
> >
> > More importantly, this means that any system following [1] will only be
> > able to use 32GB of RAM, which is a much more severe restriction than
> > what it sounds like at first.
>
> On a 64-bit platform, do we still need the alias at the bottom and the
> 512-544GB hole (even for 32-bit DMA, top address bits can be wired to
> 512GB)? Only the idmap would need 4 levels, but that's static, we don't
> need to switch Linux to 4-levels. Otherwise the memory is too sparse.
>
> Of course, if you have 512GB of RAM and you want 4K pages, 3 levels are
> no longer enough (with 64K pages you get to 42-bit VA space).
>
> > > Secondly, vmemmap space is not enough to cover over about 585GB physical
> > > address space. Fortunately, this issue can be resolved as utilizing an extra
> > > vmemmap space (0xffffffbe00000000-0xffffffbffbbfffff) in [2]. However,
> > > it would not cover systems having a couple of terabytes DRAM.
> >
> > This one can be trivially changed by taking more space out of the vmalloc
> > area, to go much higher if necessary. vmemmap space is always just a fraction
> > of the linear mapping size, so we can accommodate it by definition if we
> > find space to fit the physical memory.
>
> vmemmap is the total range / page size * sizeof(struct page). So for 1TB
> range and 4K pages we would need 8GB (the current value, unless I
> miscalculated the above). Anyway, you can't cover 1TB range with
> 3-levels.
>
> > > Therefore, it would be needed to implement 4 level page table translations
> > > for 4KB pages on 40-bit physical address space platforms. Someone might
> > > suggest use of 64KB pages in this case, but I'm not sure about how to
> > > deal with internal memory fragmentation.
> > >
> > > I would like to contribute 4 level page table translations to upstream,
> > > the target of which is 3.16 kernel, if there is no movement on it. I saw
> > > some related RFC patches a couple of months ago, but they didn't seem to
> > > be merged into maintainer's tree.
> >
> > I think you are answering the wrong question here. Four level page tables
> > should not be required to support >32GB of RAM, that would be very silly.
>
> I agree, we should only enable 4-levels of page table if we have close
> to 512GB of RAM or the range is too sparse but I would actually push
> back on the hardware guys to keep it tighter.

This is my point. If SoC design follows the document, [1], over 32GB RAM
region should be placed from 544GB. Under this severe restriction,
even 64GB system is supposed to use the region from 544GB to 576GB for
only 32GB. As you said, memory map is too sparse. Naturally, it would reach
to enable 4-levels page tables unless __virt_to_phys and pyhs_to_virt
functions are hacked.

I agree that we should enable 4-levels page table when one of the above
conditions are met.