Common clock: function clock and bus clock

Grygorii Strashko grygorii.strashko at ti.com
Thu Mar 20 06:30:27 EDT 2014

On 03/20/2014 10:25 AM, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On 19 March 2014 22:04, Mike Turquette <mturquette at linaro.org> wrote:
>> Quoting Grygorii Strashko (2014-03-13 04:30:43)

> This won't work for a cross SOC driver, since in one cases it should
> be optional, but in the other mandatory.
>
> I suggest you point the "bus" clock to the same clock clock as the
> "module" for those SOCs that don't have them as separate clocks. Thus
> the driver can keep both of them mandatory. Wouldn't that work?
>
> Like this:
> clocks = <&xyz ...>, <&xyz ...>;
> clock-names = "bus", "module";
>

>>> That what exactly Clock PM domain is doing :)
>>
>> I agree with Grygorii. Emilio's solution is correct as well, but using
>> runtime pm is the best way forward, especially for examples like the
>> OP's, where the goal is to do whatever is necessary to make the hardware
>> ready for doing work.
>>
>> Ulf is doing some work towards creating a "best practices" example of pm
>> runtime adaptation and I've Cc'd him in case he has any comments.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike
>>

>>> In Davinci it is defined as:
>>> static struct pm_clk_notifier_block platform_bus_notifier = {
>>>          .pm_domain = &davinci_pm_domain,
>>>          .con_ids = { "fck", "master", "slave", NULL },
>>> };
>>>
>>> When device is created the Clk PM domain core (clock_ops.c) recollects all clocks
>>> specified for device (in DT or in clkdev tables) by their names (DT) or con_id (clkdev).
>>> One device can specify clocks: "master", "slave"
>>> and another only "fck".
>>>
>>> Then in driver you need only do:
>>>   pm_runtime_enable(dev);
>>>   error = pm_runtime_get_sync(dev);
>>>   ^ all clocks assigned to the device will be enabled

>>>   error = pm_runtime_put_sync(dev);
>>>   ^ all clocks assigned to the device will be disabled
>
> I would not recommend using the clk PM domain to solve this issue.
> Especially not through a power domain. Simply because we must not
> force each an every SOC to implement a pm_domain just to be sure
> clocks are handled properly for a device.

It depends on SoC :). PM on Keystone 2 is very simple, and It's
just based on clocks. HW block is on if its clocks are on.
So, Clk PM domain (clock_ops.c) fits such kind of SoCs the best.
Also, it allows to simplify reusing of HW block between different SoCs
- a lot of HW blocks in Keystone 2 are compatible to Davinci, but
used different set of clocks per HW block.

As for me, There are no need to force anyone to use anything :)
There are set of frameworks and Libs in Kernel which declared
as generic and the platform developer can select what is
the best for his Platform (another question is lack of documentation
for some of them).
Exception: some generic code is declared as deprecated.

So, please, treat all my previous comments as "recommendation" only :)

> Still, of course runtime PM should be implemented, since it give you
> the option to gate your clocks at "request inactivity" and thus saving
> power.

Regards,
 - grygorii