Occational random segfault on Cortex-A15 when exiting SIGCHLD handler.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 19 18:53:43 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 09:32:51PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I have been trying to track down the cause of some random segfaults for
> the last couple of weeks.  They were mostly showing up in one particular
> program (confdc which is part of confd from tail-f, but is essentially
> just the erlang 14 VM with some erlang modules running and the segfault
> is happening in the main erlang code).  I have also seen occasional
> segfaults in gcc and even gdb.
>
> The system is a dra7xx-evm from TI (so an eval board for
> the next OMAP5 chip), running a 3.8.13 based kernel from
> git://git.omapzoom.org/kernel/omap.git (they are working on mainlining
> the patches, but that's not done yet as far as I can tell) branch
> p-ti-linux-3.8.y
>
> The CPU has dual Cortex-A15 at 1.5GHz.  Core revision is r2p2.
>
> The userspace is Debian Wheezy armhf.  Running the exact same code
> (except the kernel) on a cubox never segfaults.  I initially wondered if
> the hardware had a problem, but the failures seem too consistent to be
> a random hardware failure, and nothing else ever seems to get corrupted.
>
> The gdb backtraces from failures so far all indicated that there is a
> segfault when exiting the SIGCHLD handler, which given it is happening
> in multiple different programs seems like it can't just be a coincidence.
>
> Some example traces:
>
> gdb dying after running it a few thousand times with the same arguments
> and not failing:
>
> (wheezydev)root at omap5:~/rmf# gdb `which gdb` ./core
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.4.1-debian
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-gnueabihf".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
> Reading symbols from /usr/bin/gdb...done.
> [New LWP 11964]
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libthread_db.so.1".
> Core was generated by `gdb /usr/lib/confd/bin/confd mibs/core'.
> #0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> #1  0x00095a1e in sigchld_handler (signo=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0xb6bddc34>) at /root/gdb-7.4.1+dfsg/gdb/linux-nat.c:5530
> Backtrace stopped: previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
> (gdb)
>
> The code in question there is:
>
> 5511 /* SIGCHLD handler that serves two purposes: In non-stop/async mode,
> 5512    so we notice when any child changes state, and notify the
> 5513    event-loop; it allows us to use sigsuspend in linux_nat_wait_1
> 5514    above to wait for the arrival of a SIGCHLD.  */
> 5515
> 5516 static void
> 5517 sigchld_handler (int signo)
> 5518 {
> 5519   int old_errno = errno;
> 5520
> [...]

Hmm, so I tried Linus's latest tree
(4907cdca7210c5895311bddcf05a4c85b67d8566), and while it is missing a
number of the dra7xx drivers (like ethernet, which is a bit inconvinient),
it does boot.

So far my test cases that were failing with 3.8.13-ti kernel, are not
failing.  It has been running the test that failed the most often for
2 hours straight without a segfault so far.  It usually lasted about
30 seconds with 3.8.13-ti.

So now I am trying to determine if the problem is something solved
between 3.8 and 3.14, or if one of the not yet merged drivers from ti
is causing the problem.  At least I have hope that this problem is
going to go away.  Too bad I also need xenomai soon, which doesn't seem
to be quite at this level yet (not that I can't try to port the ipipe
patch myself, having done it before on powerpc).

Any guesses as to what change between 3.8 and 3.14 could have anything
to do with these segfaults?

--
Len Sorensen