Deadlock with I2C based clock providers

Martin Fuzzey mfuzzey at parkeon.com
Tue Mar 18 09:26:53 EDT 2014

Hi Mike,

I have a clock provide that implements the clock operations over i2c.

Although this is now possible since commit 533ddeb1e8 clk: allow
reentrant calls into the clk framework

that patch only deals with single threaded reentrancy.

The issue I am having involves two threads:

Thread A calls the i2c clock driver
Thread B is in an unrelated driver for another I2C device on the same
I2C bus (audio codec).

Thread A:
     clk_set_rate(my_clk)
         clk_prepare_lock()  <== Takes clock lock
         clk_change_rate()
             ops->set_rate()
                 i2c_transfer()
                     i2c_lock_adapter()  <== Blocks on I2C bus lock

Thread B:
     i2c_transfer()
         i2c_lock_adapter()    <== Takes I2C bus lock
         i2c_imx_xfer()
             i2c_imx_start()
                 clk_prepare_enable(i2c_clk)
                     clk_prepare_lock()  <== Blocks on clock lock

The problem is that the locks are taken in the reverse order leading to
a classic deadlock.

I saw your [RFC] clk: reentrancy via per-clock locking but that seemed
to have other problems.

My current (horrible) workaround involves exposing clk_prepare_lock()
and calling it from i2c_core but that obviously isn't the right solution.

Regards,

Martin