[RFC 4/6] sched: powerpc: create a dedicated topology table

Dietmar Eggemann dietmar.eggemann at arm.com
Wed Mar 12 07:04:13 EDT 2014

On 12/03/14 07:44, Vincent Guittot wrote:
> On 12 March 2014 05:42, Preeti U Murthy <preeti at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>>> Not exactly like that but something like below
>>>
>>> +static struct sched_domain_topology_level powerpc_topology[] = {
>>> +#ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_SMT
>>> + { cpu_smt_mask, SD_SHARE_CPUPOWER | SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES,
>>> SD_INIT_NAME(SMT) },
>>> +#endif
>>> + { cpu_cpu_mask, SD_INIT_NAME(DIE) },
>>> + { NULL, },
>>> +};
>>> +
>>> +static void __init set_sched_topology(void)
>>> +{
>>> +#ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_SMT
>>> + powerpc_topology[0].sd_flags |= arch_sd_sibling_asym_packing();
>>> +#endif
>>> + sched_domain_topology = powerpc_topology;
>>> +}
>>
>> I think we can set it in powerpc_topology[] and not bother about setting
>> additional flags outside of this array. It is clearer this way.
>
> IIRC, the arch_sd_sibling_asym_packing of powerpc can be set at
> runtime which prevents it from being put directly in the table. Or it
> means that we should use a function pointer in the table for setting
> flags instead of a static value like the current proposal.

Right,

static struct sched_domain_topology_level powerpc_topology[] = {
#ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_SMT
        { cpu_asmt_mask, SD_SHARE_CPUPOWER | SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES |
SD_ASYM_PACKING, SD_INIT_NAME(ASMT) },
        { cpu_smt_mask, SD_SHARE_CPUPOWER | SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES |
arch_sd_sibling_asym_packing() | SD_SHARE_POWERDOMAIN, SD_INIT_NAME(SMT) },
#endif
        { cpu_cpu_mask, SD_INIT_NAME(DIE) },
        { NULL, },
};

is not compiling:

  CC      arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.o
arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:787:2: error: initializer element is not constant
arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:787:2: error: (near initialization for
'powerpc_topology[1].sd_flags')

So I'm in favour of a function pointer, even w/o the 'int cpu' parameter
to circumvent the issue that it is too easy to create broken sd setups.

-- Dietmar