[RFC 0/6] rework sched_domain topology description

Dietmar Eggemann dietmar.eggemann at arm.com
Sat Mar 8 07:40:58 EST 2014

On 07/03/14 02:47, Vincent Guittot wrote:
> On 6 March 2014 20:31, Dietmar Eggemann <dietmar.eggemann at arm.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks

>>> We have to create additional level for some kind of topology as
>>> described in my trial https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/12/18/279 which is
>>> not possible with function pointer.
>>

>> This is what I don't understand at the moment. In your example in the link
>> above, (2 cluster of 4 cores with SMT), cpu 0-7 can powergate while cpu 8-15
>> can't). Why can't we have
>
> The 2nd example is a bit more complicated and needs an additional
> level to describe the topology

I see. In the 2. example you want to have an additional MC level for cpu
2-7 because you want to do load balance between those cpus more often
than for cpu 0-7 for dst cpus from the set (2-7). Not sure if such
topologies (only a subset of cpus inside a cluster can't be powergated)
exists today in the real world though?

from https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/12/18/279:

CPU2:
domain 0: span 2-3 level: SMT
     flags: SD_SHARE_CPUPOWER | SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES |
SD_SHARE_POWERDOMAIN
     groups: 0 1              <-- Doesn't this have to be 'groups: 2 3'
   domain 1: span 2-7 level: MC
       flags: SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES | SD_SHARE_POWERDOMAIN
       groups: 2-7 4-5 6-7
     domain 2: span 0-7 level: MC
         flags: SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES
         groups: 2-7 0-1
       domain 3: span 0-15 level: CPU
           flags:
           groups: 0-7 8-15

>> static inline int cpu_coregroup_flags(int cpu)
>> {
>>      int flags = SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES;
>>
>>      if (cpu >= 8)
>>          flags |= SD_SHARE_POWERDOMAIN;
>>
>>      return flags;
>> }
>>
>> inside the arch specific topology file and use it in the MC level as the int
>> (*sched_domain_flags_f)(int cpu) member of struct
>> sched_domain_topology_level?
>>

>>> Have you got a situation in mind where it will be necessary to use the
>>> function pointer with cpu number as an argument ?
>>

>> The one above. Fundamentally all situations where you want to set sd
>> topology flags differently for different cpus in the same sd level.
>> big.LITTLE is another example but it's the same as powergated/!powergated in
>> this perspective.
>
> You see the flag of a level as something that can be changed per cpu
> whereas the proposal is to define a number of level with interesting
> properties for the scheduler and to associate a mask of cpus to this
> properties.

That's right.

> I don't have a strong opinion about using or not a cpu argument for
> setting the flags of a level (it was part of the initial proposal
> before we start to completely rework the build of sched_domain)
> Nevertheless, I see one potential concern that you can have completely
> different flags configuration of the same sd level of 2 cpus.

Could you elaborate a little bit further regarding the last sentence? Do
you think that those completely different flags configuration would make
it impossible, that the load-balance code could work at all at this sd?

> Peter,
>
> Was the use of the cpu as a parameter in the initialization of
> sched_domain's flag a reason for asking for reworking the
> initialization of sched_domain ?
>

>>> In the current example of this patchset, the flags are statically set
>>> in the table but nothing prevents an architecture to update the flags
>>> value before being given to the scheduler
>>

>> What will be the infrastructure if the arch wants to do so?
>
> I'm not sure to catch your point. The arch is now able to defines its
> own table and fill it before giving it to the scheduler so nothing
> prevents to set/update the flags field according the system
> configuration during boot sequence.

Sorry, misunderstanding from my side in the first place. You just said
that the arch is able to change those flags (due to the arch specific
topology table) and I related it to the possibility for the arch to set
the topology flags per cpu.