[RFC 1/4] ARM: tegra: Move SoC drivers to drivers/soc/tegra

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:36:36 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 02:16:34PM +0100, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:48:15AM +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:

> > > Only that for arm64 we try to do things slightly differently and not
> > > because we just like to but because we want better standardisation
> > > across SoCs. One example is the booting protocol. Another example, you
> > > don't get some early initcalls for your SoC (no machine descriptor). The
> > > hardware should be configured by firmware in such a way that it boots at
> > > least up to arch_initcall() level (ideally, we should move anything to
> > > device_initcall() but it's not always easy).
> >
> > Well, one of the problems on Tegra is that we need part of the PMC to
> > power up CPUs. There's no firmware that could do this for us. We need
> > also access to another block called flow controller. Both of those
> > drivers need to be available very early for things to work. At the same
> > time the driver exposes control over power domains. So while we possibly
> > can push CPU bringup/teardown to firmware for ARM64, we can't do the
> > same for the other parts of the PMC, so we end up with a weird kind of
> > driver.
> >
> > Parts of it can't register with the driver model because it isn't
> > available that early, and at the same time we need to register parts
> > only later because they require the driver model.
>
> That sounds familiar and that's exactly the problem, and that's a problem
> that won't disappear by just moving code around directories (hey, it is
> not that we have not tried =)), as you (and I) know very well:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/16/399
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2013-August/190067.html
>
> Either a common way of dealing with this early CPU bring-up code is
> implemented (but it can't be platform specific otherwise we are back to
> square one)

I prototyped this based on an OF init table (much like IRQCHIP_DECLARE
or CLOCKSOURCE_OF_DECLARE) that's run early in the boot process (at the
very end of setup_arch()).

> or we decide that this code does not belong in the kernel and
> should be abstracted away.
>
> And I think that most of the early bring up issues are just related to
> powering-up/resetting a cpu for it to be booted, probably that's the
> abstraction we should be focusing on, because it should just require poking
> a bunch of registers to kickstart a CPU, no more than that, FW should be
> able to deal with that and that's yet another reason behind PSCI design.

Right, I agree that if we can push that into PSCI that would be great
(provided there's an open-source implementation of PSCI). But for 32-bit
ARM that's no longer a viable option, so we're pretty much stuck with
what we have.

> I am not convinced that the early device model would be useful for any
> other reason, that's why shoehorning kernel changes in the current driver
> model just to bring up secondaries is not something I consider useful
> and proper, in the first place, but I am happy to hear other possible
> concerns.

I agree, but we still want to support early and driver model code in the
same source file to avoid duplication. What I prototyped is a driver
that's initialized to a bare minimum very early on and then takes over
when the driver model is up (using regular driver .probe()). I hope to
get the patches cleaned up and send them out tomorrow. If you want I can
add you on Cc.

Thierry