[GIT PULL] ARM: mvebu: DT changes for v3.17

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Jun 27 06:59:32 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 03:44:36PM +0200, Sebastian Hesselbarth wrote:
> On 06/27/2014 03:39 PM, Jason Cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 03:31:57PM +0200, Sebastian Hesselbarth wrote:
>>> Also, production variants have their MAC address stored at 0xd0000 on
>>> SPI flash. And while ES has PL2303 USB-to-UART, production use a
>>> different brand, IIRC FTDI.
>>
>> Could you do a follow on patch adding a comment to this effect?  The
>> Debian guys will need this for flash-kernel and friends.
>
> I don't know if that information will be of any use at all.
>
> You cannot determine USB-to-UART type from CuBox but your host PC only.
>
> And I am not sure, if we want to rely on some six numbers stored on
> SPI flash, i.e. there is no magic nor header to be really sure, it
> is a MAC address.

This is kind'a my point - you're confirming that you can't reliably
tell which version you have by running something on the cubox itself.
As Jason points out, there are those who need to choose the correct
DT file when installing.

So, this means that the user has to be asked.  If users have to be
asked, users need some way to identify the hardware that they're
running on.

No, I didn't know until recently, because my Cubox was given to me by
Nicolas Pitre a couple of years ago - that's the problem, the engineering
samples may not be with the original people and therefore their origins
may not be known.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: now at 9.7Mbps down 460kbps up... slowly
improving, and getting towards what was expected from it.