VFP handling in multiplatform feroceon kernels

Nicolas Pitre nicolas.pitre at linaro.org
Tue Jun 24 07:56:44 PDT 2014

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> As I point out, the problem is that if we build a kernel with ARM926
> plus Feroceon support (thus including some of the Feroceon platforms),
> and omitting the plagerised ID, how do we stop the potential data
> corruption occuring should we boot on a Feroceon platform with the
> old IDs.

That's a valid concern.

I don't know if all the Feroceon CPU cores are buggy wrt the VFP,
however only some of the Orion5x platforms had a Feroceon core using the
plagerised ID.  Probably those two issues should be handled separately.

So for the later I'd simply forbid any Orion5x platforms from being part
of a multi-platform kernel.

Nicolas