[Linaro-acpi] [RFC v2 1/3] Mailbox: Add support for ACPI

Ashwin Chaugule ashwin.chaugule at linaro.org
Mon Jun 23 11:25:26 PDT 2014

Hi Arnd,

On 21 June 2014 05:34, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

>> linux/mailbox_client.h
>>
>>  18  * struct mbox_client - User of a mailbox
>>  19  * @dev:        The client device
>>  20  * @chan_name:      The "controller:channel" this client wants

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think this comment in the
header is confusing. It gives the impression that the user is expected
to fill in this field as "controller name: channel id". But, looking
at an example of a DT based mbox client [1] , that doesnt seem to be
the case. And "chan_name" is compared with "mbox-names", which seems
to contain a list of Channel names. The mailbox is then identified by
a separate DT binding : "mbox", which has the mailbox name and the
channel id. So shouldnt this comment not say anything about the
"controller" and the DT binding should be changed to "channel-names",
instead of "mbox-names" to keep things consistent?

>> Instead of dev, I added a name string to the mbox controller
>> structure. So now the client gets its channel by requesting
>> "controller:channel" where controller should match with mbox->name and
>> channel becomes an index into mbox->chans[].
>>

> Right, I looked at the wrong version, sorry about that.

No problem. Many thanks for the review.

> However, it seems you still make the same mistake here: The name that
> gets passed as chan_name in the mailbox API is a local identifier
> that is supposed to be interpreted for the client device and used
> to look up a pointer to the mailbox device and channel. If you require
> drivers to put global data (e.g. the mbox->name, or the channel
> number) in there, it's impossible to write a driver that works on
> both DT and ACPI. If you want to use the mbox_request_channel()
> interface from a driver, you need some form of lookup table in
> the ACPI data to do the conversion.

Fair point. The more I think about this, it seems that if we want to
use the mailbox framework for ACPI kernels, we should have a PCC
specific bypass, something like the one you suggested below. The ACPI
spec defines PCC as the only "mailbox" like mechanism. There are 3 PCC
clients defined as well; CPPC, MPST and RASF. Each of these have their
own ACPI tables and so they dont require special DSDT entries.
Moreover, these PCC client drivers will be very ACPI specific anyway.
So, trying to emulate DT like mbox controller-client matching in ACPI
at this point is rather pointless. It will require creating dummy DSDT
entries for the PCC mailbox controller and PCC mailbox clients which
have their own well defined ACPI tables (and so dont belong in the OS
agnostic DSDT) and then coming up with customized Device Specific
Methods (DSMs) for mbox clients to refer to mbox controllers.

The other alternative is to skip the mailbox framework altogether. One
thing to note is that the PCC driver and its clients should work on
X86, ARMv8 and any other platform that has ACPI support. Currently the
Mailbox framework looks platform agnostic but is tied to DT, so it may
not work well for everyone. But like I mentioned early on, the
framework provides for async notification and queuing which is useful
for PCC, so I'd prefer the PCC specific bypass option.

> The alternative would be not to use mbox_request_channel() at all
> for now, but to add a new interface that can only be used PCC and
> that matches by ID but is independent of the use of ACPI or DT,
> something like:
>
> struct mbox_chan *pcc_mbox_get_channel(struct mbox_client *cl,
>                         char *name, unsigned chan_id,
>                         struct mbox_chan **chan)
> {
>         struct mbox_controller *mbox;
>         mbox = mbox_find_pcc_controller(name, ...);
>
>         *chan = &mbox->chans[chan_id];
>         return init_channel(*chan, cl);
> }
>
> This would mean that we'd have to special-case "pcc" users, which is
> not very nice, but at least it would work on both DT and ACPI,
> and a future ACPI version could still add support for the mailbox
> API later.

I'll play around with this idea a bit and see how it looks.

Cheers,
Ashwin

[1] - https://github.com/hackerspace/rpi-linux/commit/cd0b9584cbedf46812cfd220ba47d80e86b8b7ea