Kconfig fails: big select-based circular dependency

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Thu Jun 12 03:22:58 PDT 2014

[Cc-ing Yann and linux-kbuild.]

On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 10:47 +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> If no one responds, I'll assume that no one is interested, and I'll
> just create a pile of patches removing a bunch of these idiotic select
> statements at random to break this loop.

I looked into a much, much easier "recursive dependency" warning
recently. That triggered me to post
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1678946 . In summary: select
statements are treated as "reverse dependencies", but that is actually
rather odd.

See, for example, DMADEVICES in this warning: the kconfig code treats it
as if it's depending on SAMSUNG_DMADEV. But I would be very surprised if
that was what was intended when that select statement was added. Please
note that I have not yet really looked into the mess you reported. But
for now I'll state that a recursive dependency warning involving select
statements is probably bogus. Perhaps Yann e.a. can prove me wrong.

I might have an ugly hack to the kconfig code disabling the "recursive
dependency" stuff stashed away somewhere. Not sure, as it's been two
months...

Paul Bolle