[RFC v2] ARM VM System Specification

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 11:56:37 PDT 2014

Il 10/06/2014 20:08, Peter Maydell ha scritto:
> On 10 June 2014 18:04, Christopher Covington <cov at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>> On 06/10/2014 10:42 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>> I just noticed that this doesn't mandate that the platform
>>> provides an RTC. As I understand it, the UEFI spec mandates
>>> that there's an RTC (could somebody more familiar with UEFI
>>> than me confirm/deny that?) so we should probably put one here.
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly disqualifies Generic Timer
>> implementations from being used as Real Time Clocks?
>
> So my naive view was that an RTC actually had to have
> support for dealing with real (wall) clock time, ie
> knowing it's 2014 and not 1970. The generic timers are
> just timers. Or am I wrong and UEFI doesn't really
> require that?

The real-time clock provides four UEFI runtime services (GetTime,
SetTime, GetWakeupTime, SetWakeupTime).  The spec says that you can
return EFI_DEVICE_ERROR from GetTime/SetTime if "the time could not be
retrieved/set due to a hardware error", but I don't think this is enough
to make these two optional.  By comparison, GetWakeupTime/SetWakeupTime
can also return EFI_UNSUPPORTED.

So I agree that the RTC is required in UEFI.

Paolo