[RFC v2] ARM VM System Specification

Claudio Fontana claudio.fontana at huawei.com
Tue Jun 10 09:44:59 PDT 2014

Hello all,

I just wanted to share with you guys how we are using virtualization on ARM64 over here for the OSv project.
I don't know if that's something that could be useful for your specification effort.

In OSv, creating and starting a VM to some level means starting an application.
That is, OSv should be a very thin bare bones guest server OS, which also acts as a kind of run-time library for an application to run.
All the devices are assumed to be virtualized and heavily relying on virtio.

Therefore we see a higher need for quick VM launch than it might be for other use cases.

One aspect of this is that we currently start executing the image directly (no UEFI involved on the guest),
and in some cases we might not need a full fledged file system at all,
as the communication can happen via virtio channels.

We do have a need for ACPI for discovery of information like gic addresses, timers, interrupts... (no interest on device trees, really), and of PCI-E.

By skipping steps like UEFI, grub, firmware load, etc we strive to keep our application launch time low.
Is this going to create problems for us in the future if you start requiring every VM to boot using those instead?

Thank you for your comments,

Claudio