arm64 Kernel is overly verbose on user faults

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Fri Jul 25 06:45:21 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 01:22:49PM +0100, Riku Voipio wrote:
> Arm64 kernel dmesg will print out a multiline message if any user
> binary segfaults. We get "unhandled level X translation fault" with
> pr_info, show_pte() with pr_alert and show_regs with default kernel
> level:

I agree show_pte() is not useful for user debugging but I'm not sure
about show_regs(), it may come in handy when debugging some user
application.

We could hide the extra information like show_pte behind a
CONFIG_DEBUG_USER while keeping the short reporting as it currently is
(based on show_unhandled_signals).

--
Catalin